CADC Examination References
These references are recommended as study tools for CADC examination. Note, however, that this is not a comprehensive list of all references used as a basis for the examination. You may find other references that you are comfortable with using as study tools.
- Title 77: Public Health, Chapter X: Department of Human Services, Subchapter d: Licensure, Part 2060 Alcoholism and Substance Abuse Treatment and Intervention Licenses
- American Psychiatric Association, Diagnostic and Statistical. Manual of Mental Disorders IV-TR. APA 200
- TIP 21 – Combining Alcohol and Other Drug Abuse Treatment with Diversion for Juveniles in the Justice System – BKD169
- TIP 30 – Continuity of Offender Treatment for Substance Use Disorders from Institutions to Community – BKD304
- TIP 44 – Substance Abuse Treatment for Adults in the Criminal Justice System – BKD526
- Benshoff, John. The Rehabilitation Model of Substance Abuse Counseling. New York: Brooks/Cole Publishing Company, 2000
- Buelow, George. Psychotherapy in Chemical Dependence Treatment. New York: Brooks/Cole Publishing Company, 1998
- Corey G. Corey, M.S. and Patrick Callahan. Issues and Ethics for the Helping Professions, 6th Edition, Brooks/Cole Publishing Company, 2003
- Corey, G. and Marianne S. Corey. Groups: Process & Practice. 6th Edition Brooks/Cole Publishing, 2001
- Corey, Gerald. Theory and Practice of Counseling and Psychotherapy. 6th Edition, Brooks/Cole Publishing, 2000
- DiClemente, Carlo. Addiction and Change: How Addictions Develop and Addicted People Recover, Guilford Publications, 2003.
- DeLeon, George. The Therapeutic Community: Theory, Model, and Method. Springer Publishing Company, 2000
- Doweiko, Harold. Concepts in Chemical Dependency. 5th Edition. Brooks/Cole Publishing, 2001
- Fisher, G. & Harrison, T. Substance Abuse: Information for School Counselors, Social Workers, Therapists and Counselors, 2nd Edition, Allyn & Bacon, 1999.
- Herdman, John. The Twelve Core Functions of the Substance Abuse Counselor, Holmes Beach, Florida: Learning Publications, Inc., 1994
- Inaba, Darryl. Uppers, Downers, All-Arounders, 4th Edition, CNS Publications, 2000.
- Kinney, Jean. Loosening the Grip: A Handbook of Alcohol Information, 7th Edition, St. Louis: The C.J. Mosby Company, 2003
- McCollum, E & Trepper, T., ed. Family Solutions for Substance Abuse: Clinical and Counseling Approaches, Haworth, 2001
- Miller & Rollnick. Motivational Interviewing: Preparing People for Change, 2nd Edition, Guilford Press, 2002.
- Perfas, Fernando. Therapeutic Community: A Practice Guide, IUniverse, 2003.
- Powell, David. Clinical Supervision in Alcohol and Drug Abuse Counseling: Principals, Models, Methods, Jossey-Bass, 1998
- Ray, Oakley. Drugs, Society, and Human Behavior, 8th Edition, New York: WCB/McGraw-Hill, 2002.
Note: TIPs can be ordered by contacting the National Clearinghouse for Alcohol and Drug Information (NCADI), (800) 729-6686 or (301) 468-2600; TDD (for hearing impaired) (800) 487-4889. Also available at http://ncadi.samhsa.gov/